Volunteer policies, guidelines and expectations
Below is an abbreviated version of Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota's volunteer policies. By signing and submitting a volunteer application, you are agreeing to abide by the complete version of our volunteer policies, guidelines and expectations as a volunteer of Goodwill-Easter Seals. Download the complete version (link opens PDF in a new window)**.
Volunteer shopping policy
Volunteers must enter and exit as the general public when shopping. Volunteers are not allowed in a processing area when they are not scheduled to work. Stashing, holding or shopping while volunteering is not permitted.
- Participation is voluntary and you will not be paid for any hours or services provided.
- Volunteers must be 16 years old to volunteer with Goodwill-Easter Seals.
- Customers, staff, donors, program participants and other volunteers should be treated with respect at all times.
- Please focus your attention on your volunteer task.
- Incoming personal phone calls are for emergencies only.
- We perform background checks, reference checks and verify the information provided on the application.
- Drug and alcohol use is not permitted on Goodwill-Easter Seals’ premises or at any of our events or activities that take place off of our premises.
- We maintain a work environment free from harassment. Harassment can consist of a wide range of unwanted, offensive behavior. Please object to such behavior and report the behavior to either your supervisor or the volunteer coordinator.
- We provide a volunteer orientation to review our policies and safety procedures and to familiarize you with our organization.
- Please coordinate your schedule and any changes with your supervisor, report at your scheduled time, and sign in and out to ensure accurate recording of hours.
- We do accept court-ordered community service volunteers. However, person who have been convicted of one of the following crimes within the last seven years are not eligible to volunteer with Goodwill-Easter Seals:
- Any sexual or predatory offenses
- Violence towards another person: assault, domestic violence, rape, etc.
- Any kind of theft: robbery, misappropriation of funds, embezzlement, fraud, misuse of public funds, etc.
- We have appropriate liability insurance for volunteers. Please report all injuries to your supervisor within 24 hours of injury to qualify.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toed shoes and appropriate clothing, such as khaki pants and white shirt.
- A volunteer badge and apron will be provided to you. Please display this badge on your shirt while volunteering.
- Please do not bring cell phones, headphones, purses or backpacks to your volunteer site. Bags and purses may be inspected upon departure from the volunteer site.