Marketing & Communications Director Melissa Becker or 651-379-5955
The unemployment rate is 60% higher for people with disabilities; the poverty rate for families of color is 3 times that of white families; women face pay inequality, earning 15% less than men in similar roles. We help bridge these gaps and connect people to jobs every day.
- In 2019, GESMN served people in 73 of Minnesota’s 87 counties.
- We help nearly 2,000 Minnesotans understand the impact of work on their disability benefits annually.
- Our Reentry program’s reincarceration rate is 13%; the statewide 3-year average is 35%.
- We partner with over 50 schools to expose students to work, ranging from Elk River, St. Cloud, Willmar, Mankato and more.
Minnesotans generate nearly 3 million tons of waste every year; our retail stores divert 65 million pounds of materials from landfills annually and keep Minnesota greener.
- GESMN diverts over 65 million of pounds from landfills annually, the equivalent to 150 blue whales (the heaviest animal on Earth)
- In 2019, our stores handled over 2.5 million donations, using proceeds to fund our services.
GESMN has served Minnesota and western Wisconsin for over 100 years, and partnering with others in the community makes us all stronger.
- We pick up over 6,000 pounds of clothing from the Twin Cities Marathon route for a greener Minnesota.
- Over 3,000 winter coats are given annually to Ramsey and Hennepin County Corrections for people coming out of incarceration.
- A partnership with Operation Gratitude and distributed over 2,500 pounds of donated Halloween candy to community partners.
- GESMN is active at the state capitol with several coalitions and regularly engages with officials around workforce policy.