Other Benefit Programs

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly called Food Stamps)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) enables low income individuals and families to supplement their food budget, in order to better meet their nutritional needs. To apply for SNAP, contact your County Financial Worker. If you do not have a Financial Worker, contact your county human services office.

A number of deductions can be claimed in determining if you are within the income limits for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). These include deductions for dependent care, child support paid by you, rent, utilities and other items. The Medical Expense Deduction is sometimes used by people with disabilities. SNAP allows medical expenses over a certain amount to increase the amount of assistance provided.

Allowable expenses can include:

  • Medical, dental and hospital care
  • Prescription drugs
  • Medicare premiums
  • Costs related to service animals
  • Spend down expenses
  • Certain other expenses

Expenses must be paid by you, verifiable and reported to your County Financial Worker. If you receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) and have out-of-pocket health care expenses, call your County Financial Worker to ask about this deduction.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)

The Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) provides cash assistance, food support, health coverage, child care assistance and employment supports to low income families with children. MFIP helps families work their way out of poverty by expecting, supporting and rewarding work. Benefits received are based on household composition and income. In certain cases, people receiving benefits from the Social Security Administration may qualify to receive MFIP payments for their children.

To apply for MFIP, contact your County Financial Worker. If you do not already have a Financial Worker, contact your county human services office.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) provides a monthly cash supplement to people who are aged, blind or disabled. In order to be eligible, a person typically must be receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If the individual does not receive SSI, then their income must be within MSA income guidelines. People with special dietary needs may be eligible for MSA’s Special Needs Diet allowance, which allows them to receive a higher MSA payment.

To apply for MSA, contact your County Financial Worker. If you do not have a Financial Worker, contact your county human services office.

Long-Term Disability

Private, Long-Term Disability insurance policies vary widely, particularly in their rules about how benefits are affected by returning to work. Consult your written policy or contact your former employer or insurance agent if you have questions. If you encounter difficulties, the MN Department of Commerce may be able to offer assistance. Call 651-296-2488 and press 1 for Insurance Complaints. For general guidelines on work and long term disability policies, see the Long Term Disability flyer.

Tax incentives

People with disabilities who work may qualify for special tax incentives, including the Earned Income Tax Credit and free tax preparation services. See the Work Incentives Connection's Tax Incentives fact sheet.

Programs for people with HIV/AIDS

The Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) operates special health and nutrition programs for people with HIV/AIDS. See the HIV/AIDS section of the DHS website for general information.